[Babel-users] Babeld 1.9.1 in OpenWrt + documentation

Rich Brown richb.hanover at gmail.com
Sun Sep 1 15:20:03 BST 2019

> On 31-08-19, Rich Brown wrote:
>> I'm delighted to see babeld enter the OpenWrt mainline. This is a great day indeed - the culmination of a huge amount of work.
>
> Maybe I was not very clear: babeld itself has been part of OpenWrt for a
> long time, I was just referring to the update from babeld 1.8.x to babeld 1.9.x!

Well, then, I'm delighted to have babeld 1.9.1 in the OpenWrt mainline :-)

>> I agree that documentation is an important piece of the entire product. And the OpenWrt wiki page still needs work, even though I bet that every word there is true.
>
> So far, this documentation is indeed aimed at people who already know that
> they want to use babeld, and who have already read and understood (almost)
> every word of the babeld manual page.
>
>> My biggest concern is that it's missing an introductory section that gives a motivation for using babeld. The text needs to help the new reader answer, "Does babeld offer something for me?" Other questions... "Why should I care? Why would I use babeld? What situations/configurations would benefit from babeld, and how would my life be better? Why choose babeld in preference to those other mesh-y packages such as Open-Mesh, OLSR, B.A.T.M.A.N?"
>>
>> That section doesn't need to be long: two or three paragraphs is probably enough. In fact, shorter is better. I am happy to help with wordsmithing, but I don't know enough about babel/babeld to get started...
>
> Feel free to go ahead and write something like this on the wiki, you are
> apparently in a good position to produce something accessible!

Thank you for your confidence. Just because I took a stab at the installation process on the Homenet page doesn't mean I really know what I'm talking about :-)

The links you cite (below) are helpful. Maybe I'll post a draft here for review. (It'll be a week or so before this comes to the top of the list.)

Rich