[Babel-users] OT: WebRTC, chat and Go [was: a babeld 1.9.x...]

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 19:36:31 BST 2020

On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 11:20 AM Juliusz Chroboczek <jch at irif.fr> wrote:

> > you are welcome to a subdomain off of any domain I have (taht.net, teklibre.*).
>
> After my experience with the University, I'd rather use a domain that
> I control.  I just need a good name, j.ch would be the obvious choice, but
> it looks like Switzerland doesn't give out one-letter domains ;-)
>
> > babeld.net seems to be available. For servers I use linode worldwide.
> > I have a server in germany I don't use much, I can recreate it on your
> > behalf wit distro of choice. A $5/mo nanode is unsuitable for this
> > (100mbit), the $20/mo server overkill, but...
>
> I think there's a misunderstanding.  The chat software I just published is
> almost purely peer-to-peer: the load on the server is minimal.  The whole
> point of the exercice was to design something that can be easily deployed
> on a 30€ ARM board while being reasonably secure.

Ya need a place for dns, turn server (is there a good turn server in
openwrt?), development...

and specifically - at least a temporary home for something that can
accept port 433 to get a cert.

> So there's no issue with finding a server (I'm with Antonin on this one,
> I'm a fan of OVH), the issue is in finding a suitable domain name.

Cool. I should add one to my flent fleet.

> > If you're stuck on a name for "unnamed" gowebrtc is taken.... (looks
> > like useful code)
>
> Unnamed is not using any WebRTC, since all the WebRTC traffic is between

I rather liked "soiree" as part of name. it kind of expresses the intent.

> peers (the peers communicate with the server over a boring Websocket).
> I've got some experiments lying around that I've done with pion, they've
> made some remarkable progress recently:
>
>   https://github.com/pion/webrtc

Thnx. I was  involved in rmcat, 2013-2016, but after things like
google congestion control started to just work, I stopped paying
attention to things like NADA and Scream. Seeing meetecho evolve from
a postage stamp (2012) to where it is today, has been amazing.

https://janus.conf.meetecho.com/

but I think highly of go as a core implementation language for this
stuff, over c... and certainly over java (as in jitsi). I find jitsi
really clunky so far.

About the only thing bugging me was the centralized server & security
problem. Probably the second thing bugging me was getting my own
security cameras up that I could actually trust....

--
Make Music, Not War

Dave Täht
CTO, TekLibre, LLC