[Babel-users] MAC rekeying in babeld and information model

STARK, BARBARA H bs7652 at att.com
Tue Jan 21 18:00:00 GMT 2020

> From: Juliusz Chroboczek <jch at irif.fr>
>
> > As I just replied in the other thread: The Bird implementation is
> > going to have this facility no matter what we specify in the spec, but
> > I'm fine with having it optional, or omitting it from the spec
> > entirely, as long as we don't forbid having a key-use parameter :)
>
> It is my understanding that it's already effectively optional -- it can be
> exported as read-only (paragraph 3.9 of the draft).  I suggest we let Barbara
> decide whether she wants to explicitly mark it as optional.

I find it confusing to have parameters an implementation has no use for. The "MAY choose to expose as read-only" is actually a bit awkward in this case, since ideally, users can add entries to the object (in which case it's weird to have read-only parameters set by the implementation). It's not disallowed -- just weird. I would like to mark them optional to implement. I don't think this would impact the YANG model (because the YANG model doesn't deal with the mandatory/optional to implement aspects of the spec)?
Barbara