[Babel-users] About Babel-RTT

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at irif.fr
Tue Jul 28 17:26:17 BST 2020

Dear Ronald,

[Both Babel MLs in CC]

At the WG meeting, you asked about the future of the Babel-RTT draft.

The protocol extension isn't going away.  It's been used in production for
many years at Nexedi, where it works beautifully.  No other production-quality
routing protocol known to me has this kind of automation.

As to the draft, the situation is somewhat less good.  Baptiste Jonglez,
who did the initial implementation, does not appear to be interested in
working on the subject.  The current draft merely describes the packet
format, it doesn't fully describe the algorithms needed to make it work
well.  As to the algorithms, we did determine experimentally that they
work well, but we haven't been able to get a satisfactory theoretical
explanation of why that is the case.

So in order to make it into a peer-reviewed paper or an internet-draft,
I would need help from a competent dynamic systems theorist.  Any help
with that would be welcome.