[Babel-users] v4-via-v6 and the IPv4 Dummy Address

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at irif.fr
Fri Apr 23 14:10:55 BST 2021

Hi,

After I release v4-via-v6, I'll start working on merging HMAC and
v4-via-v6 into babeld.  A v4-via-v6 router needs to be able to send ICMPv4
packets even if it hasn't been allocated an IPv4 address; the simplest way
to achieve that is to use the "IPv4 dummy address".

  https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-babel-v4viav6-03#section-3

Question: how do we achieve this?  The best solution would be to modify
the Linux kernel to use the dummy address for sending ICMPv4 when it has
no IPv4 addresses available.  The second best would be to automatically
add the IPv4 dummy address to the loopback interface when Babeld starts.

Ideas?