[Babel-users] Multiple internet gateways in the mesh

Mark Shuttleworth mark.shuttleworth at canonical.com
Thu Nov 11 12:48:13 GMT 2021

On 11/11/2021 12:25, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
> Yes, it looks like a new mechanism is needed. I need to think it over,
> it's not immediately obvious how your proposed mechanism interacts with
> Babel's loop-avoidance mechanisms. (At first sight, it might cause
> persistent oscillations, at least in some topologies.)

At least that sounds like it might be publishable!

:)

For now I've gone with a change to the way default routes are installed.

  - first establish if we are connected to the net
  - then see if one of the preferred exit points is reachable via the net
  - iff not then install a default route from here

This depends on correctness elsewhere (it assumes that if a preferred
node is able to see the net it will also be advertising a default route
which will propagate via babel). But it seems to have survived a few
trial reboots.

Mark