[Babel-users] RTT in BIRD [was: babeld slashes...]

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at irif.fr
Sun Apr 17 13:50:18 BST 2022

> AFAICT the babeld code will require quite a bit of surgery to change
> this behaviour; to the point where I think it may be simpler to
> implement the RTT extension in Bird (but I'm obviously biased here)... :)

Please?

Your BIRD code is much better than what's in babeld, which has been hacked
by multiple students over the years, some of which were quite competent,
others slightly less so.  I really hope that BIRD has enough features for
most of our users to switch to using it.

The reason we've implemented plenty of extensions in Babeld, was to get
a solid understanding of which features are useful in actual networks --
and RTT is definitely a useful extension, essential if you're using
multiple tunnels and don't wish to be configuring metrics manually.

(We've never managed to build a network where Babel-Z measurably improved
performance, we've never found a convincing application for ToS-sensitive
routing.  As to v4-via-v6, it has only just been merged, so it's too early
to say, but I'm confident that it will turn out to be popular, especially
since it's safe to enable by default.)