[Babel-users] RFT: Babel RTT extension in Bird

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Fri Apr 22 00:48:46 BST 2022

Hi everyone

I've implemented the Babel RTT extension specified in
draft-ietf-babel-rtt-extension in Bird. I've tested that it talks to
babeld on a single link and that the two implementations agree on each
others' (smoothed) RTT values. However, I'd like to subject the code to
some more tortured testing before submitting it to upstream Bird. So I'm
sending this note as a request for testing.

The code currently lives here:

https://github.com/tohojo/bird/tree/babel-rtt-01

To compile it, do:

 git clone -b babel-rtt-01 https://github.com/tohojo/bird
 cd bird && autoreconf && ./configure && make

To run it, create a config file enabling the RTT extension; the simplest
way to do this is to set the interface type to 'tunnel'. A sample
minimal config is included below (just change the interface name from
"veth0"). Save this and run Bird in the foreground in debug mode like:

  ./bird -c sample.conf -d

Any feedback (successes or failures) greatly appreciated!

-Toke

debug protocols all;
router id 1.2.3.4;
ipv4 table master4;