[Babel-users] Babel Protocol Questions

Nick vincent at systemli.org
Sun Feb 20 13:37:41 GMT 2022

Hi,

I am just reading again the babel RFC. In particular, the topic
"Feasibility Conditions" is very interesting. However, I don't
understand why [0]:

> Babel uses a slightly more refined feasibility condition, derived from
> EIGRP [DUAL <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc8966#ref-DUAL>].

Why does babel not use DSDV-feasibility? Is it because I can manage
multiple routes in case of link failures?

Also the "Requests" part is interesting [0]. I know that in DSDV a
direct neighbor may advertise link failures with an uneven sequence
number (+1). Babel uses an explicit request to the source. What does the
forward of this request look like? Does it mean that babel sends on all
possible links that request if it can reach the source via that link? So
it is a bit like a "selected flood"?

I would be happy if someone could help me understand the design
decisions in more detail.

[0] - https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc8966#section-2.4

[1] - https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc8966#section-2.6