[Babel-users] scaling of babeld

Jochen Demmer jochen at winteltosh.de
Thu Jul 14 22:59:03 BST 2022

Hi again,

I've been working on different things in order to setup a dev
environment to develop my project which I call pplznet.
https://wiki.junicast.de/en/pplznet/pplznet

Currently I'm running 60 nodes but I would like to get even bigger in
the future. I'm combining Netbox and Ansible together with my Imp1sh
Ansible Collection and there are also some smaller scripts. My aim is
to fully automate the building of a dev environment.

I've been thinking about the TTL in IPv6 is this might pose a problem
and I think it will. With my 60 hosts env I'm already traversing about
25 hops. Real world envs shall get much bigger than 60 nodes.
This is what the dev env looks like:
https://wiki.junicast.de/en/pplznet/dev-environment/diagram

I fear the 8 Bit counter for the TTL might not be enough. Might this
actually be a reason to even prefer Layer 2 routing algos like batman-
adv over layer 3 based solutions like babeld?

What are your thoughts on this?

Thank you
Jochen Demmer