[Babel-users] Heads up: babeld to remove diversity routing

Benjamin Henrion zoobab at gmail.com
Fri May 6 08:17:38 BST 2022

Le mer. 4 mai 2022 à 19:08, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> a écrit :

> The channel model used by babel got clobbered by the increases in
> channel width, and the underlying behavior of subsequent wifi
> standards,
> where stuff used a base channel and was supposed to sense the usage of
> the other channels (but rarely did it right).

There is missing support for newer wifi standards, which have much more
spectrum, and use multiple channels at the same time. The way multiple
channels are used are hidden in the proprietary firmwares of those radios.

Nevertheless, the feature is still very useful for radios up to 802.11g.
802.11n and ac and successors use multiple MIMOs, which might improve the
situation for mesh networks, or not.

I would keep it, and add support for those 'new' 802.11 standards, as that
was proposed in the past.

And of course make some tests on a real setup.

Best,