[Babel-users] babel in vyos

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at irif.fr
Fri Apr 28 21:35:23 BST 2023

> One place where things fall down also is in ECMP, (which babel does
> not do presently?)

It does not.

ECMP improves throughput in some cases, but unless done very carefully it
tends to improve latency (the effective latency of the aggregated link
tends to be higher than the latencies of either of the underlying links).
I don't currently have an algorithm that would reliably determine when
ECMP can be used without impairing latency, but perhaps further work on
the RTT metric could yield something useful.

(There's this good friend of mine who taught me to disregard throughput,
and optimise for latency.  His name is Dave.)