[Babel-users] CRXN/DN42: interconnecting overlay networks with Babel and BGP

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at irif.fr
Mon Feb 20 15:22:04 GMT 2023

> I guess it would also help if babel could send some kind of metadata along
> with the routes. Like BGP communities or some such. Has this been thought
> about already?

No objection, but there are a few questions we'd need to answer first:

1. Should the metadata be mandatory or not?  Suppose that a router
   receives a route with a kind of metadata that it doesn't understand,
   should it drop the route?

2. If the route doesn't get dropped, should the metadata be transitive?
   If a router receives a route with a kind of metadata that it doesn't
   understand, should it drop the metadata, or should it reannounce the
   route with the metadata unchanged?

3. What should be the format of the metadata?  One octet of metadata kind,
   followed with opaque binary data?

4. Which kinds of metadata should be defined initially?