[Babel-users] Babel RTT settings for low and high latencies

Daniel Gröber dxld at darkboxed.org
Thu Jul 18 11:58:59 BST 2024

On Thu, Jul 18, 2024 at 12:38:20PM +0200, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
> > A year ago you said [1] that bird had not yet implemented "hysteresis on
> > metrics" [...]  Has bird implemented this in the meantime?
>
> I haven't checked the BIRD implementation recently (I know, I should be
> doing more work on Babel, but I'm currently spending all my mana on
> fighting the French administration), you'll need to wait until Toke comes
> back from his Viking raid.

We do not have oscillation prevention measures in BIRD yet.

I was doing work on proto/babel most recently and what's complicating that
right now is BIRD 3 (thread-next branch) development disincentivising the
BIRD team from applying potentially conflicting changes as both branches
will need to be maintained going forward.

Perhaps it's time for me to start releasing a babel-bird fork while that's
going on so we can carry on development in the meantime? It seems I lost
the motivation to work on it since nothing is getting merged/released which
makes testing by the community significantly less likeley and doing it in a
way the team *might* pick up patches (I discussed this with them privately)
is too much work for me to overcome my activation energy requirements ;)

--Daniel