[Blend-tinker-devel] [REPORT] Successful image generation for a minimally modified Debian to run on Sinovoip Banana Pi M2+EDU (H3 SOC, armhf)

Jonas Smedegaard jonas at jones.dk
Mon Feb 24 09:50:18 GMT 2020

Quoting Jonas Smedegaard (2020-02-23 23:19:47)
> Quoting Linux-Fan (2020-02-23 22:23:15)
> > Unfortunately, the result is (still) not entirely “unmodified“. For
> > now, the following changes wrt. a “proper“ Debian exist:
> >
> >  * u-boot (file `u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.bin`) is still taken from
> >    armbian. I could not get it to work with either “mainline“ u-boot
> >    which hangs at “Starting kernel...” or Debian's u-boot which
> >    turns on the display, but does not do any output and does not
> >    boot -- no error message available...
>
> Try look at the source of Armbian which branch of u-boot the working
> code is based on, and with which patches applied.  Try cherry-pick
> parts over to either mainline u-boot or Debian u-boot (which is
> mainline u-boot with few patches applied).

Armbian source is at https://github.com/armbian/build

Mainline U-boot source is at https://gitlab.denx.de/u-boot/u-boot

Seems your board is named bananapi_m2_plus_h3 in u-boot (modulo the +EDU
suffix - not sure if that matters), renamed from Sinovoip_BPI_M2_Plus on
2019-02-15 (git commit 268ae65).

Did you already try use u-boot built for orangepi_plus as documented at
https://linux-sunxi.org/Sinovoip_Banana_Pi_M2%2B#Mainline_U-Boot ? - it
is enabled in Debian since u-boot 2016.01+dfsg1-1, included in Debian
since oldstable: https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/u-boot

> If you are new to Allwinner-based boards, then it might also be
> helpful to compare with code for other similar boards - in particular
> A64-based boards

Sorry, I was mistaken - H3 _predates_ A64 so there's likely less benefit
in comparing with A64-based boards - depending on how low-level you end
up messing around: Near the top of https://linux-sunxi.org/A64 it says
"The A64 is basically an Allwinner H3 with the Cortex-A7 cores replaced
with Cortex-A53 cores (ARM64 architecture). They share most of the
memory map, clocks, interrupts and also uses the same IP blocks"

 - Jonas