[Cupt-devel] Some comments from a first time user

Eugene V. Lyubimkin jackyf at debian.org
Fri Aug 31 16:39:22 UTC 2012

Hi Ole!

Thanks for your input.

On 2012-08-31 16:06, Ole Laursen wrote:
> It proceeded to uninstall a big bunch of auto-installed stuff that
> Aptitude had kept, presumably because of a difference in how soft
> dependencies are handled? Or perhaps because of loops, I'm not sure
> Aptitude handles those correctly. It was slightly worrisome, mostly
> because there were so many.

Cupt's implementation of autoremovals is quite aggressive. For example,
if there is more than one automatically installed package in the system
which satisfy some dependency, some of them might be proposed for
autoremoval.

This keeps the system cleaner. Some people don't like it though.

> * the "cupt help" output isn't terribly easy to read, I think the main
> problem is that the great many entries are alphabetically sorted
> rather than grouped by function (perhaps with some newline spaces
> sprinkled)

Good idea, added to TODO.

> * couldn't you fold dist-upgrade into the normal full-upgrade by
> automatically detecting there's a new version of cupt/dpkg? - one less
> thing to document and one less thing for users to remember

That's actually a great idea! Added to TODO.

> If I had more time, it could be fun looking into a minimal browsing
> front end, the one in Aptitude is powerful but also weird in many
> ways, and looks like it's possible to build something simple in a
> short time with cupt.

Yeah, if someone goes to build this on top of libcupt, I'd be happy to
help.

C++ GNU/Linux userspace developer, Debian Developer