[Debconf-devel] RFH: debian-edu-profile-udeb.templates problem...

Holger Levsen holger at layer-acht.org
Sat Jul 5 11:08:18 UTC 2008

Hi,

cc: the debconf maintainers, the po-debconf maintainer and bubulle, as I have
no idea how to fix this...

In Debian Edu (where we use a modified d-i) we have a problem with the profile
question in the the debian-edu-profile-udeb.template. The profile question is
asked quite in the beginning (after language selection and configuring the
network) and determines how the machine shall be used. In expert mode the
questions differs a bit, the explaining text is longer and there are more
profiles to choose from.

The problem manifests itself in:

- normal-prio text-mode english is almost fine, though it seems there would be
space to display all four possible choices, but this is really mine. Compared
to the rest I consider it fine.

- normal-prio text-mode german is really broken, you cannot see what you have
to choose.

- expert-prio text-mode english is broken, almost the same as text-mode
german.

- expert-prio text-mode german is fine(!), there are two screens shown: first
the text and on the second the possible choices.

- graphical installer is always fine, there is more space

(And is similar for other languages as well.)

Screenshots are available at http://layer-acht.org/edi/

The template itself is available at
svn://svn.debian.org/svn/debian-edu/trunk/src/debian-edu-install/debian/debian-edu-profile-udeb.templates

This is all lenny with debian-edu-install from sid.

(And should you want to test yourself, the cd image is available
with "rsync -vt
ftp.skolelinux.no::cd-lenny-test-i386/debian-edu-i386-CD-1.iso
debian-edu-i386-CD-1.iso")

I'm sending this mail also to the debconf maintainers as Christian suggested
there might be a bug in debconf involved. To me it seems the splitting into
two "srceens" (not sure about the terminology) as it happens in expert-mode
in german should also happen for the other text-mode cases. Is there a way to
force this splitting, but only for text-mode? (As the graphical installer has
enough space to display everything correctly.)

I'd be very grateful for some hints how to fix this.

regards,
	Holger