[Debconf-devel] new function in debconf

letstry at home.nl letstry at home.nl
Tue Jan 6 03:32:22 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I'm not a member of your mailing list, but I have a question for further functionality.
Just a simple question, but with possibly a lot of changes to .deb packages.
Maybe I'm in the wrong mailing list, but then you could guide me further.

Ok, could there be a section 'set_permissions' in debconf, so the developers of .deb packages have to supply the permissions of every file/dir in the package?
And as a consequence the whole filesystem with all installed .deb packages can be 'set straight' in structured way (via debconf or dpkg)?

It helps when you know for sure your filesystem can't be compromised by wrong permission on some file you installed ;-)

I know this can be done with post install scripts, but I think it would be better to add it to the API.

Best wishes,

Jacco Loonstra
The Netherlands