[Debconf-devel] debconf vs. invoke-rc.d start

Thorsten Glaser t.glaser at tarent.de
Thu Jul 24 14:02:00 UTC 2014

Hi *,

I need to run debconf *after* calling invoke-rc.d {stop,start} in
a postrm script. This is tricky.

Reason: #755908

So, my postrm basically must do these steps in order:

• disable the apache config
• if apache is running,
  ‣ stop apache
  ‣ then start apache again¹
⇒ ²
• purge the database
• purge dbconfig-common’s debconf variables
• purge the other config files/dirs and state dirs etc.

① This really cannot be “reload”. I must make sure that all
  httpd children die, so they cannot keep holding a DB connection.

To add insult to injury, I need this for squeeze and up.
Plan is to upgrade the system from squeeze to something
newer, but for that, I need to migrate the software from
SQLite2 first, and I’m doing this while packaging it as
proper Debian source package at the same time, thanks to
the benefit that dbconfig-common is.

I cannot just source the debconf stuff at ② above, because
the script is re-executed then…

I cannot send db_stop before starting the dæmon because I
need to talk to debconf afterwards.

So, how?

Thanks in advance,
//mirabilos (please keep me in Cc, I am not subscribed)
--
tarent solutions GmbH
Rochusstraße 2-4, D-53123 Bonn • http://www.tarent.de/