[Debconf-devel] Debconf - adding "treeselect" type(s)?

Timo Weingärtner timo at tiwe.de
Sun Nov 29 22:37:59 GMT 2020

Hallo Steve McIntyre,

29.11.20 20:21 Steve McIntyre:
> On and off, I've been hacking on tasksel for quite a while to improve
> the UI there and add better support for things like Blends. I've made
> some progress in my hacking, but I think I've hit a brick wall and I
> need to change tack. :-/
>
> What I've ended up doing so far is hacking tasksel to give a poor
> *approximation* of a tree-style layout: classifying some existing
> tasks under headers and building a tree, then displaying each of the
> nodes of the tree one level at a time via the existing debconf
> setup. It just about works, but it's ugly as all hell and I'm not
> happy with where I've got to. I've sunk a lot of development time into
> this, but I don't think it's ready to fly this way. :-(
>
> What I *actually* need here is proper support in debconf for
> tree-style selection. I'm thinking of adding that, adding new types
> "treeselect" as a tree-equivalent of "select" and "multitreeselect" as
> an extension of "multitselect". The first one may not even be needed,
> but would be a trivial simplification of the second, so *meh*.

What are the proposed semantics of this multitreeselect?

If we imagine something like:

[ ] a
  [ ] a/b
  [ ] a/c
[ ] b
  [ ] b/a

Would checking "a" automatically also check "a/*"?
Is it only about UI, meaning "a/*" would be collapsed under "a"?
Shall it be possible to check "a", but uncheck "a/b"?

Grüße
Timo