[Debconf-devel] Debconf - adding "treeselect" type(s)?

Steve McIntyre steve at einval.com
Mon Nov 30 15:36:23 GMT 2020

Colin Watson wrote:
>On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 10:24:56AM +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>> Timo wrote:
>> >What are the proposed semantics of this multitreeselect?
>> >
>> >If we imagine something like:
>> >
>> >[ ] a
>> >  [ ] a/b
>> >  [ ] a/c
>> >[ ] b
>> >  [ ] b/a
>> >
>> >Would checking "a" automatically also check "a/*"?
>> >Is it only about UI, meaning "a/*" would be collapsed under "a"?
>> >Shall it be possible to check "a", but uncheck "a/b"?
>>
>> Yes, I'm thinking just about UI here: my plan would be to not have
>> anything *selectable* at "a" - it would just toggle the display of the
>> "a/*" subtree in those frontends that can display such a thing.
>
>If we took that approach then it wouldn't work so well for the grub2
>case, where "a" would be a whole disk and "a/b" and "a/c" would be
>individual partitions.  (Unless we rephrased the choices to include an
>explicit "Whole disk" option or something.)

That might be the best bet anyway, I think.

I'll admit that I'm thinking of this *mostly* in terms of the needs of
tasksel so far, but I'd expect switching to a new template type is
likely to need a rethink to make best use of them anyway.

--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK.                                steve at einval.com
"You can't barbecue lettuce!" -- Ellie Crane