[Debconf-devel] Success in using cdebconf alone to bootstrap VMs

Gioele Barabucci gioele at svario.it
Sun Aug 28 08:19:53 BST 2022

Dear debconf and cdebconf maintainers,

you probably have seen the bugs reports [1] and the MRs [2,3] that I
recently opened related to the creation and the use of `debconf-common`.

With these changes [4,5,6] applied (and a few unrelated changes) I have
been able to mmdebootstrap a number of VMs in which classic debconf is
not used at all, neither at installation time nor afterward.

I'm confident that a debconf-free unstable for base systems could be
achieved before the freeze with little effort.

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/1018261
[2] https://salsa.debian.org/pkg-debconf/debconf/-/merge_requests/11
[3] https://salsa.debian.org/installer-team/cdebconf/-/merge_requests/17
[4] https://salsa.debian.org/gioele/debconf/-/commits/debconf-common-pkg