[Debian-astro-maintainers] saods9 command line escaping

Ole Streicher olebole at debian.org
Wed Dec 7 09:26:07 GMT 2022

Package: saods9
Version: 8.2+repack-2
Severity: normal

On 05.12.22 01:27, Mark Copper wrote:
> Hello,
>
> ds9 from stable (v8.2 repack) cannot open files whose filenames contain a space.
>
> That is, the command
>     $ ds9 a\ b.fits
> fails with alert that ds9 is unable to load file 'a'.
>
> Not every character in the ds9 command line is literal, of course.
> Simple globbing can be a workaround.
>
> The DS9 help desk thinks I'm out of it so it got me to wondering if
> "repack" meant anything.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Mark Copper

Dear Mark,

The problem you found is indeed a bug in the Debian package: While the
original SAOImageDS9 program comes as a single executable that contains
all required libraries and subpackages, the Debian package uses system
installed libraries and subpackages whereever possible. It therefore
comes with its own launching script which has the bug you discovered. It
is best to open a Debian bug, which is done by this mail.

Best regards

Ole