Bug#1148861: mdns-reflector: Default LOGGING_LEVEL can cause log file space exhaustion

Tj tj.iam.tj at proton.me
Thu Sep 24 11:34:39 BST 2026


Package: mdns-reflector
Version: 0.0.1+git20230914.4b4cd3b-2.1
Severity: normal
Tags: upstream
X-Debbugs-Cc: tj.iam.tj at proton.me

On a space-constrained embedded device used as a gateway (PC Engines
APU2 with 60GiB SSD) I recently noticed that several services journal
logs only had last few days entries in them; usually the logs would
cover several recent boot sessions over several months.

Due to the space constraints the host is configured thus:

dev/mapper/VG_SSD-var  7.8G  5.8G  1.6G  79% /var

# journald.conf
SystemMaxUse=2500M
SystemKeepFree=1G

I found the journal using the maximum:

2.5G    /var/log/journal/2b91f3a904674a7698f80c698fd76904

Eventually I tracked it down using

journalctl --follow

that shows mdns-reflector writing at least 12 messages per second.

Reviewing the default configuration I found:

LOGGING_LEVEL=info

I've now changed it to

LOGGING_LEVEL=warning

and I'd recommend that the Debian package adopts this change too.

I'm reporting it to upstream but since that repository does not appear
to have been changed in 3 years it may not get acted on upstream.


-- System Information:
Debian Release: 13.5
  APT prefers stable-updates
  APT policy: (500, 'stable-updates'), (500, 'stable-security'), (500, 'stable')
Architecture: amd64 (x86_64)

Kernel: Linux 7.2.6+debian+tj (SMP w/4 CPU threads; PREEMPT)
Locale: LANG=en_GB.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=en_GB.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8), LANGUAGE not set
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /usr/bin/dash
Init: systemd (via /run/systemd/system)
LSM: AppArmor: enabled

Versions of packages mdns-reflector depends on:
ii  adduser      3.152
ii  libc6        2.41-12+deb13u3
ii  libcap2-bin  1:2.75-10+deb13u1+b1

mdns-reflector recommends no packages.

mdns-reflector suggests no packages.

-- no debconf information



More information about the Debian-edu-pkg-team mailing list