[Debian-ha-maintainers] drbd in linux-2.6

dann frazier dannf at debian.org
Tue Apr 6 22:09:54 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 09:31:20AM -0600, dann frazier wrote:
> drbd maintainers,
>
> As you no doubt know, linux-modules-extra has been dropped for
> squeeze. The recommended[1] direction for building out-of-tree module
> is to either:
>
>  a) get merged into linux-2.6
>  b) use the dkms framework
>
> DRBD is now merged upstream, so it seems like a good candidate for
> option a. Do the drbd8 maintainers know of any issue with that
> (userspace tool compatability, etc)? Are you ok with dropping the
> drbd8-source binary package if we include this in linux-2.6?
>
> I've backported the latest upstream DRBD bits into our kernel targeted
> at squeeze:
>   http://people.debian.org/~dannf/drbd/
>
> I'd appreciate it if an existing drbd user could test it.

I didn't hear back from the drbd maintainers, but I did get some
testing feedback from a drbd user (thanks to Lukasz Oles, bcc'd)

On Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 11:41:33PM +0200, ?ukasz Ole? wrote:
> I tested drbd in primary/primay mode with ocfs2 on top of it, and it
> seems to work fine. I tried full resynchronization and copying file
> to both nodes and it worked.

My plan is therefore to:
 1) Commit these changes for inclusion in the next linux-2.6 upload
 2) After that upload, I will file an RC bug to request the removal of
    the drbd8-source binary from the drbd8 source package

Comments?

--
dann frazier