[Debian-ha-maintainers] [Linux-ha-dev] [patch v2 6/6] Debian: remove ldconfig from heartbeat.{postrm, postinst}

Simon Horman horms at verge.net.au
Fri Feb 5 23:22:53 UTC 2010

On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 04:57:13PM +0100, Lars Ellenberg wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 06, 2010 at 12:04:35AM +1100, Simon Horman wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 12:57:39PM +0100, Dejan Muhamedagic wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > All other patches seem fine to me. Can you please push them.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > > Incidentally, Martin, is there a reason not to have debian
> > > directories upstream in glue and agents?
> >
> > dev/debian seems to also have been removed.
> > I must say, I'd rather it hadn't been.
>
> Martin (Madkiss) and I talked about this,
> and the conclusioin was to remove debian/* from upstream.
>
> BTW,
>    please consider to go one changeset further than the 3.0.2 tag:
>    http://hg.linux-ha.org/heartbeat-STABLE_3_0/rev/70df28657107
>    You may need to add the dopd directory to the appropriate place
>    in the debian initscript and file lists.

I must be missing the point.

To me that seems to only highlight that packaging issues
are being handled in the tree. .spec files are being maintained
in the tree.

> So let's say, somehow you miss the "build from scratch",
> because you confuse Debian with Gentoo ;-)
>
> If you really don't want the packages from
> http://people.debian.org/~madkiss/ha,
> but _insist_ to build them yourself,

I am one of the Debian maintainers for heartbeat.
I do build packages myself. And more importantly,
I do make updates to the files in debian/

> just
> 	(Martin, and other debian maintainers,
> 	 please correct me if I'm wrong)
> add
> deb http://people.debian.org/~madkiss/ha sid main
> deb-src http://people.debian.org/~madkiss/ha sid main
> to your sources list (or lenny, for that matter, or in a few weeks
> probably they are in the official repos anyways),
> then
>
> # download debian sources from debian downstream (ok, it is your
> # upstream, but it is downstream from linux-ha mercurial)
> apt-get source heartbeat
> apt-get build-dep heartbeat
>

> # get the latest heartbeat tarball from mercurial tip
> wget -O heartbeat.tip.tar.gz http://hg.linux-ha.org/heartbeat-STABLE_3_0/archive/tip.tar.bz2
>
> # extract it
> ## tar xjf heartbeat.tar.gz
> mkdir heartbeat.tip &&
> tar --strip-components=1 -xjf heartbeat.tar.gz -C heartbeat.tip
>

> # copy over martin's debian stuff
> cd heartbeat.tip
> # or wherever the tar xjf ended up, should be something like Heartbeat-3-0-*/
> cp -a ../heartbeat-3.0.2/debian .
> # (or whatever has been downloaded and extracted by apt-get source)
>

> # add your changelog entry, preferably adding the hg date and hash
> export EDITOR=vim # or jed or whatever
> export DEBEMAIL="Your Name Here <you at are.respons.ible>"
> dch -i
> # or, dch -l "<<<---date and hash--->>>", whatever seems more appropriate
>
> # build your own bleeding edge deb
> dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -uc -us
>

> Should work just fine,
> and better even than up to now,
> as the debian/* in the mercurial always lagged behind.

Removing the files is an interesting way to a resolve the lag.
Updating the files would be the approach that I would prefer.

Furthermore, the process you describe above seems to introduce its own
version of lag.  The files from http://people.debian.org/~madkiss/ha'
debian/ are decoupled from
http://hg.linux-ha.org/heartbeat-STABLE_3_0/archive/tip.tar.bz2.  Surely
there is ample scope for lag there.

The thing is, that debian/ really needs to be maintained somewhere.
And it was being maintained on ha.linux.org by Dejan, myself and others.
Sure, it wasn't perfect. But software development is an iterative process.
And imperfect is arguably the state of the entire tree.

It was my assumption that Martin would continue with this practice.  I do
acknowledge that he has done a lot of work on debian/ and as such he is
driving change.  But I really do wish that Dejan and I had been consulted
on this.  Last weekend I was modifying stuff in debian/ And when I went
to push my commits it was gone.

Needless to say, I would not only like to see debian/ restored to the
heartbeat tree. I would also like to see it added to the agents and glue
trees.

An idea that Martin suggested on IRC is to have separate trees for
debian/. To be honest this is not my preferred option.  But it does address
my major concern, which is that the debian/ directories are no longer under
revision control. And it also seems to work for people worried about lag.

Dejan, would that work for you?
Martin, I'm assuming that you are still ok with this idea.

If so I think we should about getting
hg.linux-ha.org/debian/{agents,dev,glue,heartbeat-STABLE_3_0}
or something similar set up? Does anyone have any preferences
for the naming of the repositories?