[Debian-ha-maintainers] Invitation from ClusterLabs

Richard B Winters rik at mmogp.com
Sun May 31 00:59:20 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I was responding to some questions on #clusterlabs when Digimer pinged
me, asked what I thought about consolidating support to the #clusterlabs
channels.

It was due to my having mentioned that if the person had some specific
debian (dev/packaging) questions he could join us in #debian-ha.

This was the gist:

<digimer> ping
<digimer> one of the main things that came out of the HA summit last Feb
was the decision to unify under the "Cluster Labs" umbrella,
specifically to avoid the fracturing of the community and the resulting
confusion for new users
<digimer> I don't think the volume of messages on #clusterlabs, and I am
guessing on #debian-ha, is such that they can live under the same
channel, eh?
<digimer> this was something that was a personal goal of mine, after
seeing new people struggle for years to find where to go for help with
various bits of the HA stack :)

devrikx> they could, the debian-ha channel is a dev channel, but asking
about the debian-ha developer wiki seemed like a development question
<digimer> perhaps we should create #clusterlabs-dev
<digimer> we have two mailing lists, one for users and one for devs
<digimer> so it would be in-line
<digimer> challen is available, I'll register it
<devrikx> hmm our dev team is a packaging team and it is all specific to
alioth, I have no problems if you would like us to irc in clusterlabs, I
just figured to keep our spam out of your channel.  But yea definitely,
if you'd think support could all be welcome there regardless of distro,
I'd be all for updating our wiki to point there for support
<digimer> we don't want it to be "our channel"
<digimer> but rather a community effort
<digimer> we consiously chose "cluster labs" instead of something
HA-specific to keep the umbrella as wide as possible.
<digimer> in the end, it is entirely up to you guys, of course
<digimer> but I think it benefits everyone when there is a common
community
<digimer> users and devs
<devrikx> yea I understand what you mean. I don't think anyone would
have a problem with that at all. Perhaps that is why they stopped using
#debian-ha to begin with
<digimer> #clusterlabs-dev is now setup and registered
<digimer> I'll send out a mailing shortly, consider this an official
invitation for the debian team to work along side the rest of us
<devrikx> Well, that is awesome; thank you very much
<digimer> As I said in the other channel, I very much want Debian to be
a viable platform for HA
<digimer> avoiding the "silo"ization of the Debian community might go a
long way to helping that come to be

So that is that.  Feedback for them?  I didn't really say anything one
way or the other, but I'll definitely go chill in the channels and help
out as best as I can/when I can.

Best,

--
Rik