[Debian-ha-maintainers] Debian-HA apt repository

Richard B Winters rik at mmogp.com
Fri Sep 25 15:40:46 UTC 2015

Hello,

On 09/23/2015 03:34 PM, Adrian Vondendriesch wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I know we're currently in prepare/test phase. But IMHO we
> should provide a repository for people who wants to test our
> packages. Last few mails on the list show that those
> people are out there.
>
> Currently we have 3 apt repositories (AFAIK):
>  - https://ppa.mmogp.com/apt/debian/:
>    Which provides only a subset of all our debian-ha packages
>    for amd64 and jessie.

It includes the components which are part of the modern stack.  No
openais, heartbeat, etc..  It is only source packages and amd64 as I
didnt expect anyone would build a 32 bit system (or any other weak
system) for an HA cluster.

It uses Gitlab, Gitlab-CI-Multi-Runner, and reprepo, built on top of a
Beowulf cluster. Its completely open source.

That means its a fully-featured github-like vcs, _and_ a fully-featured
build system, _and_ an apt repository.

I've offered - and still offer - anyone who wishes (of the debian-ha
team) can have an ssh login to the gitlab/gitlab-ci/reprepo
machines....then you can help maintain the apt repository (including
building of additional architectures). The machines are pretty much
already set for cross-compilation - I could build a 32 bit machine and
add it to the beowulf cluster too, and add some other architectures, etc.

The build is handled by Docker, and it _is_ a clean build environment
each time it builds.

I built it for Debian development - have said that several times since I
have, have made this offer several times since I have as well, but seems
my network isn't highly desired (understandably so as its not a Debian
resource, and no offense taken ofc).

>    This repository is referenced within the
>    "ClustersFromScratch, Debian Style" HowTo

And several, several people have already emailed with questions
regarding packages on this PPA...in fact one of them even helped to
write up the clusters from scratch guide...hence the reference.

>  - http://apt.niif.hu/debian:
>    Which also provides a subset of packages. Also for amd64
>    jessie/sid.
>    AFAICS mainly for testing purpose.

This is Ferenc's apt repo, all I know about it is a reference from his
email just the other day.

>  - http://www.debha.org/apt/debian-ha/:
>    Where I automatically build and provide all Packages of
>    the debian-ha section on git.debian.org for amd64/i386
>    and jessie/sid (except openais).

>    Mainly used for CI and Testing
>    (http://jenkins.debha.org).

Nice - hand't seen it before, I built ppa.mmogp.com because when I asked
about using a contributing teams' Jenkins system I was told it was their
companies system, not meant for outsiders to use...did this change, or
perhaps this is a totally different one?

> This is where we stand. But what would we like to use /
> build to provide those testing packages? Thoughts welcome.

IMHO, I'd rather not be solely responsible for maintaining the apt
repository, but at the same time I'm not taking ppa.mmogp.com down. I
have several fross projects going on there, most for debian/gnome/linux
- and so it's there to stay.

I still stand by my previous offer. The packages can be easily updated,
the whole build and upload process can be automated, etc.

However, if we're shaky about using one single persons' managed
repository, then I believe we should be using something managed by an
outside party; Launchpad, or a PPA through Alioth or another Debian
resource.

Best,

Rik