[Debian-ha-maintainers] Split of HA agents into multiple binary packages

Lucas Kanashiro kanashiro at ubuntu.com
Fri Mar 31 13:24:23 BST 2023

Hi,

Em 31/03/2023 06:13, Valentin Vidic escreveu:
> I'm not too interested in making Debian a RedHat clone, but if we
> are doing the split maybe it makes sense to use the same model as
> it helps with RedHat documentation mostly working for Debian too.

+1

> I agree the missing dependencies are a usability problem and it
> is worth considering the split for that reason.
>
>> It does not mean that all those dependencies should be in Depends but they
>> should be have some kind of relationship with the package.
> The new fence-agents meta-package should have the new packages in Recommends
> (and maybe some in Suggests like fence-virt) so the existing users that want to
> install everything still get the majority of agents. This also allows them to
> remove agents they don't want. Later when we have more usage info we can
> move less used agents to Suggests.

So your proposal here is to move all the new fence-agents-* to
Recommends in the fence-agents meta-package? And make it Suggests
fence-virt?

In this case, if a user install fence-agents meta-package without
recommends it will install nothing (no agents). Is that the expected
behavior?

Let me know if this is what we want so I can update the salsa MR
accordingly.

> It seems the usage is not that small on a new system, so maybe the split
> helps there too.
>
> # apt install fence-agents --no-install-recommends
>    fence-agents libbrotli1 libcurl3-gnutls libldap-2.5-0 libnghttp2-14 libpsl5 librtmp1 libsasl2-2 libsasl2-modules-db
>    libssh2-1 python3-boto3 python3-botocore python3-cachetools python3-certifi python3-cffi-backend python3-chardet
>    python3-charset-normalizer python3-cryptography python3-dateutil python3-fasteners python3-google-auth
>    python3-google-auth-httplib2 python3-googleapi python3-greenlet python3-httplib2 python3-idna python3-jmespath
>    python3-monotonic python3-oauth2client python3-openssl python3-pexpect python3-pkg-resources python3-ptyprocess
>    python3-pyasn1 python3-pyasn1-modules python3-pycurl python3-pyparsing python3-requests python3-rsa
>    python3-s3transfer python3-six python3-sqlalchemy python3-suds python3-uritemplate python3-urllib3
> 0 upgraded, 45 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> Need to get 11.1 MB of archives.
> After this operation, 106 MB of additional disk space will be used.

Interesting, thanks for checking.

> Yes, also when nginx is installed from the package it is managed by
> systemd and this needs to be disabled first before it can be managed by
> pacemaker. So not something that can easily be done just with package
> management.

You are right.

> Ok, let's give the fence-agents split a try after the Debian release as
> it gives us enough time to go back if something does not work out as
> planned.

Good news! \o/ Could I kindly ask to try to get those changes in
experimental (I do not think the freeze impacts uploads to
experimental)? That would help me to start working on the Ubuntu side.

And as I stated before, I am volunteering myself to help with the
maintenance of those packages.

Many thanks for all the discussion so far!

--
Lucas Kanashiro