[Debian-handbook-translators] Using Weblate for handbook translations

Michal Čihař nijel at debian.org
Tue Jun 5 13:18:36 UTC 2012

Hi

Dne Tue, 5 Jun 2012 15:03:50 +0200
Raphael Hertzog <hertzog at debian.org> napsal(a):

> On Tue, 05 Jun 2012, Michal Čihař wrote:
> > I've written tool for web based translating called Weblate [1] and I
> > got some feedback that you might be interested in using it for
> > translating The Debian Administrator's Handbook.
>
> Who suggested that?

Fernando C. Estrada, see
http://blog.cihar.com/archives/2012/05/11/pootle-vs-weblate/#c747

> > I would happily provide Weblate instance for this purpose, so it's
> > basically up to you whether you want to have such tool available. It
> > lowers barrier for translators, what can be good and bad as well.
>
> I guess it really depends on the various translation teams. I don't
> want to impose it and some might prefer to use a workflow that doesn't
> require usage of weblate.

Well there is no need to use Weblate even if it is used - it's just a
web interface that allows to edit files, nothing prevents others to
work directly on Git repo.

> Also I'd rather avoid many small commits, and I'm not sure that weblate
> can help us here.
>
> Can weblate cope with a workflow where the translations are committed
> manually with a "git merge --squash" or any other history-rewriting
> method?

Weblate already tries to prevent small commits. It does not do any
history rewriting for that (it would make things much harder when
repository has been meanwhile merged), it just delays committing as
long as possible (to some extent). See documentation for more details:
http://weblate.readthedocs.org/en/latest/admin.html#lazy-commits