[Debian-handbook-translators] Allow me to introduce myself!

Ivan Aleman aleman.ivan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 19:10:56 UTC 2013

Hello Matías,

Hi.

> I have been working on the translation of the handbook using weblate [1].
> There were some translations when I started a few months back but I went
> over each chapter and translated everything making sure that the strings
> already translated were consistent. A month or two ago two people stepped
> up, translated a dozen strings each and then disappeared again so it has
> been mostly just me.
>
> [1] http://debian.weblate.org/
>
> I am a hair over 80% with all chapters up to 12 already translated. At my
> current speed I estimated I would finish by the end of the month but any
> extra hand is more than welcome.

Thank you! I've checked the weblate chart and it seems that there's a lot
of work to do so I hope I can help translating this great book.

>> Also, as Raphaël said there was no README file on the git repository I
>> took the liberty to create one and here it is and also I put myself as
>> coordinator if that's OK:
>>

> I didn't know there was a "README" file per language and it doesn't appear
> in weblate. I also didn't know there needed to be a coordinator, what would
> be the role of the coordinator?

Yes there is, you may want to read the file linked[1] on this page[2] or if
you clone the repository you'll have this file, there you'll find the
instructions to start a new translation among these suggestions, the
creation of the README file is required . Not sure what is the 'role' of
the coordinator, I think the main tasks will include to keep updated the
README file, welcome and give basic instructions to newcomers on the
specific translation and setting agreements about who may do what (or who
may translate what) mainly to avoid duplicity on the work, another task may
be that this person will review the work done and apply/suggest corrections
all of this with the help of the community. For now I will leave my name
there as coordinator, but please don't hesitate to ask for the job or if
any other person would like to give it a try I am all ears!

[1]
http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=debian-handbook/debian-handbook.git;a=blob;f=README.translators;hb=master
[2] http://debian-handbook.info/contribute/

> Based on information of this e-mail I subscribed to the mailing list and
> requested to join the Alioth project (username toote-guest).

Great!

--
Iván
@alemani