[Debian-handbook-translators] The Debian Administrator's Handbook ready to be translated!

Raphael Hertzog hertzog at debian.org
Wed Nov 4 15:09:28 UTC 2015

Hi,

On Wed, 04 Nov 2015, AYANOKOUZI, Ryuunosuke wrote:
> "-E" force font embedded.
> But Japanese font license issues is very complicated for me
> (What operation is allowd without extra license fee?
> Using the font in the hard-copy commercial products,
> embedding the font into PDF, etc...).
> Avoiding legal issues and saving checking time,
> I want to check font embedding flag is allowed to embed the font into PDF.
> If target fonts are allowed to embed, the fonts are embedded.
>
> "-q" suppress warnings which is useful for PDF debugging.
> I want to check such warning is acceptable or not also.
>
> If you don't think
> we need to take font embedding license into account and confirm warning.
> Please direct me to remove corresponding section.
> I'll follow your decision.

I build the PDF with DFSG-free packages coming from Debian main. Those packages
should not have any special clause imposing extra license fee or similar.
We should be free to use them in a commercial setting.

Thus I believe this change to be useless.

> > 2/ Can you explain the role of each LaTeX command you add (except
> > \set{main,sans,mono}font that I clearly understand)?
>
> \XeTeXtracingfonts=1
> % Matching Unicode in source file and PDF file.
> % I can't exactly say in what case, but sometimes these are not exactly same.
> % This will be a problem when searching word or converting PDF into text file.

This command only prints where fonts files are found according to
http://mirror.math.ku.edu/tex-archive/info/xetexref/xetex-reference.pdf

So it's not really needed (except maybe during your tests).

> \defaultfontfeatures+{Scale=0.8}
> % Reducing all font size 80%. The value is chosen
> % to have the same total page numbers as English PDF.

Why do you want the same number of pages? Does that impact readability?

> \setmainfont{DejaVu Serif}
> \setsansfont{DejaVu Sans}
> \setmonofont{DejaVu Sans Mono}

Here you change the fonts I guess because they have better coverage of the
japanese characters... but why do you need the zxjafont package too in
that case?

> \usepackage[AutoFallBack=true]{zxjatype}
> % Including 'zxjatype' package.
> % zxjatype is used for achieving standard Japanese typesetting.
> % if this package is not used, like break and hyphenation rule will
> % not be good for Japanese (line break are added only after white space).
> % When option AutoFallBack=true, {main|sans|mono}fonts are used
> % if corresponding glyph for Unicode doesn't exist in
> % Japanese font file being set in next line.
>
> \usepackage[ipa,scale=0.8]{zxjafont}
> % Including 'zxjafont' package.
> % zxjafont is used for achieving standard Japanese font family setting.
> % if this package is not used, all Japanese characters will not be displayed.
> % This is because default {main|sans|mono}fonts has no Japanese glyph.
> % Default font settings are defined in ./build/dblatex/config.xsl and are...
> % \setmainfont{Gentium Basic}
> % \setsansfont[Scale=MatchLowercase]{Linux Biolinum O}
> % \setmonofont[Scale=MatchLowercase]{DejaVu Sans Mono}

Those default fonts are overriden by you own change above...

> ./build/build-pdf is injecting lang attribute in book node.
> So, following code will work good. You don't need to set "-P tdah.lang=$lang".

Great.

> > they are just hacks like moving text around or adding short TeX commands
> > to force a pagebreak, etc.).
>
> I understand. So in what case we need to hack?
> I find some problems on generated Japanese and English PDF.
> There are many more issues but out of them...
> * Sometime text inside sidebar disappeared.
>   It looks background (shaded) and foreground (text) have same color.
> * Sidebar "GOING FURTHER Installing a non-Debian system in a domU"
>   overwrap next list item "--dhcp states that...".
> In these cases we need to hack?

Yes, also sometimes because we want to avoid having a sidebar split over two
pages (in particular when the two pages are on each side of a single
sheet).

> texlive-lang-japanese, ghostscript and lmodern package are needed to build.

Good.

> I checked required package by building test PDF in chrooted sid.
> ghostscript and lmodern are also specified because these package will not installed
> if apt-get don't install recommended packages by Build-Depends packages.
> It this is not a good way, please inform me.
> I'll remove ghostscript and lmodern from Build-Depends.

Please squash your changes in a single commit.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer