[Debian-handbook-translators] Validate translation (compatibility to the docbook format) done on Weblate

AYANOKOUZI, Ryuunosuke i38w7i3 at yahoo.co.jp
Tue Aug 2 03:46:57 UTC 2016

Dear Michal,

Thanks very much.
New check item (xml-invalid) is working very well.

At Mon, 1 Aug 2016 17:19:01 +0200,
Michal Čihař <nijel at debian.org> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Dne 24.7.2016 v 11:42 Michal Čihař napsal(a):
> > Hi
> >
> > Dne 22.6.2016 v 12:54 AYANOKOUZI, Ryuunosuke napsal(a):
> >> Thanks for confirmation.
> >> I'll report other cases if I find blind spot of XML check in Weblate.

> >> Right, XML validation error and XML tree structure matching error
> >> should be separately issued.
> >>
> >> In Translation, XML validation error is critical and must be fixed.
> >> But, sometime translators make reasonable change to XML tree structure
> >> (Ex. adding translator's note).
> >> Such change is better to be informed but this kinds of warning is negligible.
> >> I think it would be nice if Weblate could show critical and negligible error separately.
> >
> > I've created issue to track this:
> >
> > https://github.com/nijel/weblate/issues/1177
>
> New Weblate version has been just deployed, you can see results of new
> check here:
>
> https://hosted.weblate.org/checks/xml-invalid/debian-handbook/

TL;DR

Adding new page which is specific to "language" and "project",
Weblate would be more useful for translators
to check translation and to validate translation quality.

(I don't intend to force you to add following new feature...)

Do you have a plan to provide language filtered page such as
'checks/<check-item>/<project>/<language>'?
Current page structure ('check/<chcek-item>/<project>/<component>')
is very much useful for "small project" and/or "project manager".
But, from translators point of view,
there is a room for improvement as stated above.

Currently, "Debian Handbook" project have 26 components and 20 languages.
To check "xml-invalid" translations, each translators and/or
leader of translators must visit each component page [1]
and select his/her language at least 26 times.
If we have language filtered page [2], translators could easily
confirm check-status specific to "xml-invalid" check and "language".
I think it contributes to an improvement of translation quality for
each language managed on Weblate.

[1] https://hosted.weblate.org/checks/xml-invalid/debian-handbook/<component>/
[2] https://hosted.weblate.org/checks/xml-invalid/debian-handbook/<language>/

Since grammatical background is needed for fixing problem related to translation,
translation check and/or quality validation
should be performed based on "language" not "component".
So, language filtered page [3,4] would be also useful for translators.

[3] https://hosted.weblate.org/projects/debian-handbook/<language>
[4] https://hosted.weblate.org/langages/<language>/debian-handbook/

Sincerely yours,
Ryuunosuke Ayanokouzi