[Debian-handbook-translators] Proposal: Stop run-time dependent 'id' attribute variable generation

AYANOKOUZI, Ryuunosuke i38w7i3 at yahoo.co.jp
Fri Aug 5 06:17:08 UTC 2016

Dear authors
and debian-handbook-translators team,

(I am very much sorry for authors sending multiple mails,
because I got error mails from @lists.alioth.debian.org.)

After DocBook to HTML conversion,
many HTML elements are identified by id="idmXXXXXXXXXX" attributes.
This cause a problem when we compare changes of HTML contents
across translations or editing source XML files.

I would like to suggest a patch for this problem [1,2].
and appreciate if you review and apply it to official jessie/master branch.

[1] https://github.com/l/debian-handbook/commit/1e58fb05c08b7f559640644a3f72b69d68174d75
[2] https://github.com/l/debian-handbook/commits/jessie/master/proposal/stop_runtime_dependent_id_generation

Background:

Currently,
the id generation depends on generate-id() XSLT function
via xsltproc, which depends on run-time.
It means that even though source file contents is the same,
different HTML files are generated.

I know using reproducible build infrastructure (ExperimentalToolchain),
it can be avoided [1]. But it might be more than necessary.
DocBook provides another solution to this problem [2].
Though 1st level sections must be given ids, it is simpler solution.

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/ReproducibleBuilds/ExperimentalToolchain#libxslt
[2] http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/1.77.1/doc/fo/generate.consistent.ids.html

I am looking forward to your reply.

Sincerely yours,