[Debian-in-workers] Problems with a couple of fonts

Soumyadip Modak soumyadip@softhome.net
Tue, 22 Jun 2004 21:57:58 +0530

Two bug reports have been filed against ttf-indic-fonts. One is re: the
Pothana2000 font. According to the person who filed the bug (#254246) :

On Mon, 2004-06-14 at 01:59, Stefan Baums wrote:
>When opening the Pothana2000.ttf font, the font editor FontForge
>brings up the following dialog box:
>
>   Restricted Font:
>
>   This font is marked with an FSType of 2 (Restricted
>   License).  That means it is not editable without the
>   permission of the legal owner.
>
>   Do you have such permission?
>
>   Yes         No
>
>And inside the editor, the Element -> Font Info -> TTF Values menu
>shows
>
>   Embeddable: Never Embed/No Editing
>
>That clearly makes the font non-free.

Secondly, the other bug is about (#254242) :

On Mon, 2004-06-14 at 01:48, Stefan Baums wrote:
>The fonts Gargi-1.1.ttf and Pothana2000.ttf contain nonsensical
>glyphs in the code positions U+200C and U+200D.  In fact, however,
>these code positions are control characters (ZERO WIDTH NON-JOINER
>and ZERO WIDTH JOINER) and should therefore not be in the font at
>all (and _definitely_ not contain any glyphs).  The presence of
>these characters in the fonts can break their essential use as
>control characters, and can make the fonts useless for the
>rendering of Nagari and the Telugu script as per the Unicode
>specification.  What is worse, on a system using fontconfig, the
>mere presence of these fonts can break rendering of these scripts
>even if other, correct OpenType fonts for them are available.

I'll need some guidance here. As an intermediate measure, I'm removing
the Gargi and Pothana fonts. But after that what am I supposed to do?

I downloaded the Indlinux-Hindi tarball, and I copied over a couple of
fonts from that tarball, over to the ttf-indic package. The tarball
claims that the Pothana2000 font is GPL, so I put that in into the
copyright file. Now it seems that the Telugu translation project is
quoting my copyright file as claiming Pothana2000 to be GPL :) Can
anybody give some pointers on what possible course of action should I
take ?

Thanks

--
Soumyadip Modak