[Debian-in-workers] Re: [DebianIndia] Debian-IN

Guntupalli Karunakar karunakar at freedomink.org
Tue Aug 23 12:59:26 UTC 2005

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 12:11:46 +0530
Abhas Abhinav <abhas at deeproot.co.in> wrote:

> Hi Jaldhar...
>
> On 02:06, Mon 22 Aug 05, Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:
> > Silly me.  It should be http://debian-in.alioth.debian.org/
> >
> > Join the project and the list then let me know what you are
> > interested in working on.
>
> I just joined the mailing list. And marking a cc: to it since the
> post could be relevant there as well. (Hope its fine to cross-post
> - or if everyone is subscribed to debian-in-workers, then the
> discussion could shift there.)

Welcome back, good to see you again

> I can think of quite a few things that I think need to be done. I
> would be glad to contributed personally as much as possible.
>
> There are a lot of parallel localisation efforts going on. One thing
> that I found common among all of them is that they all started as
> projects to create localised live CDs. Also most of the live CDs
> were based on RH or FC - never on Debian. I feel that one of the
> first things to do is to package their work for Debian users
> against Debian unstable and make it possible for Debian users to
> use work done by IndLinux or Janabhaaratii people.

I can for sure assume, you havent yet run one of the localized live
CDs, because almost all of the live CDs are based on Debian
( basically derived from  Knoppix / Morphix / Ubuntu live cd ).
All IndLinux live CDs are based on Morphix (& so debian ) & they have
been online available for download for almost 2 years now.

> The end result could be to just configure another apt-source,
> install a 'debian-in' meta package and have an alternate locale
> installed and configured for immediate use.
>
> Then it would be easier to users and developers to contribute in
> terms of translation or feedback or development.
>
> Of course, a lot of IndLinux work does go back upstream into Gnome,
> but a lot of that doesn't happen right away. Most of the times, the
> work remains limited to a live CD and a live CD-based installer -
> especially for smaller localisation initiatives.

Well not exactly,  most of the stuff goes in sync with latest
releases,  the packages that we release are more for patch ons to
existing setups which dont have the support yet or may not have it
untill the new stuff becomes normal ( typically few months post
release of GNOME/KDE ).

> So - what I'm basically pointing out is that we need to first
> commoditise all the localisation work done so far. It could be for
> Mozilla, Gnome, KDE or anything else.
>
> A way to get started could be to make a list of packages that need
> to be developed. And then Debian-IN members could share
> responsibility of this work. I would be glad to develop an initial
> list and mail back very soon
> - ie. of course, if everyone feels that this is one way to get
> started.

much of the work is already started & ongoing,
please see a status sheet at http://www.indlinux.org/status05.html
maybe could make a distro wise status sheet too, after we test all
comprehensively

 please check out indlinux wiki - http://www.indlinux.org/wiki

Karunakar