[Debian-in-workers] Re: Debian on one dvd?

Nishant Sharma nishantsharma.in at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 08:42:56 UTC 2005

On 12/14/05, Christian Perrier <bubulle at debian.org> wrote:
> > idea to go with the default 1st DVD of the set. One thing i rue
> > missing in this disk is the localised packages of KDE for Hindi, not
> > sure about other Indian languages.
>
> But it's very likely that sarge didn't have those, did it?

Well, Sarge has it. I am running Sarge on my machine with KDE in
Hindi, which I installed from the internet. May be these packages are
on the 2nd DVD

> *that* could be a major drawback for distributing sarge DVD,
> dunno...though I suspect that many readers of a Linux Magazine in
> India have good knowledge of English anyway.

Yup, most of the GNU/Linux users know English. Even then I have seen
people getting stuck at the Debian Installer messages because they
don't know what exactly needs to be filled in. And the most confusing
part I observed, is answering the X Server setup questions as it
expects you to know the PCI bus number of your display device.
Eventually, if you simply keep pressing enter, your system runs on the
vesa driver successfully ;-)

regards,
Nishant
--
How about some patent on "(a+b)2 = a2+2ab+b2". Choose free software!
http://www.nishants.net