[Debian-in-workers] First Punjabi translations for D-I have been commited/Graphical installer

Christian Perrier bubulle@debian.org
Mon, 7 Feb 2005 08:03:32 +0100

(Colin, you're CC'ed because I talk about the graphical interface of
the installer, later)

This week-end, Amanpreet Alam commited the first version of the pa_IN
translation in Debian Installer SVN repository.

So, along with Hindi translations which Ravi Shrivastava is working
on, we now have two languages from the Indic family with very early
work being done.

Of course, there's still a long way to go before we reach the day
where we'll have a Debian installation running in one of your
languages. The hardest way is getting progress on the graphical
installer work (and later support for the needed libraries to support
Indic languages, such as Pango, IIRC)

Colin Watson began a few months ago to try reviving this project but
he logically seems currently being more occupied in release work for
sarge and thus I've seen no visible progress on that side (Colin, feel
free to object!).

I strongly suggest to all people interested to jump in if they can and
if they have the needed skills. Even if talking about the installer
for "etch", the next Debian version, may appear very early, experience
shows that it's never too early.

I'm not aware of Ubuntu projects about such support for "new"
languages in the installer, but a closer collaboration may be valuable
here, too.

Amanpreet, Ravi, I also suggets you get closer from the
debian-in-workers contributors, ie by subscribing to the mailing list
(low traffic anyway). See the "debian-in-workers" project on
http://alioth.debian.org.

I wish the best to all of you, hoping for the support for Indic
language in Debian Installer and,=A0more widely, in Debian itself to
increase in the newt months/years.

--=20