[Debian-in-workers] Re: N(ew)L(anguage)P(rocess) for Sanskrit

Mahesh Pai paivakil at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 13:06:31 UTC 2005

On 9/26/05, Guntupalli Karunakar

> ya, quite a few locales are still missing.
> Sanskrit, Konkani, Sindhi, Manipuri, etc
> Will check up in CLDR if there are any definitions there.

Dont have my mail archves on this machine, but IIRC, the Govt. Of
India proposes to have a separate set of code points for Sanskrit.

Both Sanskrit and Konkani use the devanagari (hindi) script.
The suggestion for separate codepoints, IIRC is because sanskrit uses
plenty of pronounciation markers.

Also, Sanskrit has no association with any geograpical area - it is
regarded as the language of the elite.

While including locale info for sanskrit is required, I am not sure
that we should spend time *translating* into Sanskrit - people who
speak Sanskrit are so well educated that they will typically know at
least 2 - TWO other languages, They would be:- their mother tongue, if
it is not Hindi, Hindi, and at least one other language which, in all
probalities, will be English.