[Debian-in-workers] (forw) [Pkg-fonts-devel] pkg-fonts etch goals?

Christian Perrier bubulle at debian.org
Wed May 31 14:58:34 UTC 2006

----- Forwarded message from Paul Wise <pabs3 at bonedaddy.net> -----

From: Paul Wise <pabs3 at bonedaddy.net>
To: pkg-fonts-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 20:35:04 +0800
Subject: [Pkg-fonts-devel] pkg-fonts etch goals?

Hi all,

The etch freezes are getting closer, and I was wondering what the debian
fonts group should consider as its goals for etch?

I thought perhaps we should try give people the world over the ability
to view text in their own language on Debian.

So, here is my analysis of which parts of Unicode don't have fonts in
Debian. I used the gnome character map (version 1:1.6.0-1) with sans
selected in the font thing. Since I don't know the Unicode standard
well, I ignored ones that gucharmap indicated were zero-width or
non-displayed. I have all the fonts in unstable with ttf in their names
installed and some others (inc non-free ones). Please let me know if
there are more fonts in debian I have missed, or perhaps where you
find .

---------| Quick test

wikipedia languages whose names galeon could not render:
at all: Gutisk, Inuktitut, Yi
problems: Kannada, Sichuan Yi

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wikipedias

---------| Strange

DejaVu sans uses some of the private use area, is this valid?

---------| Incomplete blocks

Symbol modifier letters: U+02EF to U+02F2, U+02F4 to U+02F6, U+02F8 to
U+02FF

Hebrew: U+05C6. Looks like several other characters in this block use
this symbol - U+05A2, U+05C5 and U+05C7 also have the square with
numbers in them.

Syriac: U+072D to U+072F, U+074D to U+074F

Devanagari: U+097D

Gujarati: U+0ABC, U+0AE1 to U+0AE3

Tamil: U+0BB6, U+0BE6, U+0BE6, U+0BF3 to U+0BFA

Teluga: looks like it draws on 2 chars in some other sections - U+0C55
and U+25CC

Kannada: U+0C8C, U+0CBC, U+0CBD, U+0CE1 and draws on U+25CC

Sinhala: 18 missing chars, plus it draws on a few others. 25 chars
missing parts in total.

Thai: 16 chars draw on U+200D

Tibetan: U+0FD0 and U+0FD1 look buggy, as they show the letters 0FD0 and
0FD1 instead of being symbols. The font is Tibetan Machine Uni.

Ethiopic: U+1207, U+1247, U+1287

Phonetic extensions: 18 characters missing
Phonetic extensions supplement: 23
General punctuation: 5
Superscripts and subscripts: 5
Currency: german penny and former argentinian currency (AUSTRAL)
Letterlike symbols: 19
Arrows: 26
Mathmatical operators: 13
Misc. symbols: 14
Coptic: > 60
CJK radicals supplement: about 20
CJK symbols and punctuation: 15
Katakana: U+30FF
Enclosed CJK letters and month: about half
CJK compatability: about a third
CJK Unified Ideographs: this is a huge block, with about an eighth not
defined.
Arabic presentation forms A: about 2 thirds to 3 quarters empty
CJK compatability forms: 5
small form variants: U+FE58 SMALL EM DASH
half width and fullwidth forms: the hangul ones, 20 or so
linear B syllabry: 14
linear B ideograms: about half
aegean numbers: 9 - subunit ones
Deseret: 4 - captial/small EW and OI

--------| Mostly empty

Misc tech, Control pics, misc math symbols A, CJK Unified Ideographs
Extension A & B, CJK Unified Ideographs supplement.

---------| No Glyphs or almost empty

Some useful pages:

http://www.unifont.org/fontguide/
http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/fonts.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode_font
http://www.evertype.com/celtscript/
http://www.travelphrases.info/fonts.html

Ethiopic supplement

http://www.evertype.com/celtscript/ogfont.html

Myanmar: At the moment there is a proposal to update this block to
support Mon and some other languages from Burma. There are several
sources for fonts for this, although some intrude on parts of Unicode
that are not yet defined.

http://my.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Font
http://sourceforge.net/projects/prahita

Unified Canadian Aboriginal Syllabics

http://www.gov.nu.ca/font.htm
http://www.gov.nu.ca/Nunavut/English/font/
http://www.evertype.com/celtscript/inuktitut.html
http://www.google.com/search?q=Inuktitut+fonts

Ogham

http://www.evertype.com/celtscript/ogfont.html

Combining diacritical marks for symbols: only one character (from
FreeSerif)

Others: Tagalog, Buhid, Tanbanwa, Mongolian, New Tai Lue, Kanbun,
ethiopic extended, Katakana phonetic extensions, Yijing hexagram
symbols, Yi symbols, Yi radicals, ancient greek numbers, byzantine
musical symbols, musical symbols, ancient greek musical notation, Tai
Xian Jing Symbols, , combining diacritical marks, OCR, supplemental
arrows A & B, misc math symbols B, supplemental math operators, misc
symbols and arrows, supplemental punctuation, ideographic description
characters, modifier tone letters, variation selectors, mathematical
alphanumeric symbols and variation selectors supplement.

Any ideas about fonts that I missed or places we can pillage to get free
fonts?? Since many fonts are fairly easy to package, we could cut down
this part pretty quick.

Oh, yeah, I don't think we can release without a Klingon font ;)
(U+F8D0 to U+F8FF in the private use area)

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise