[Debian-in-workers] Malayalam in openoffice

Mahesh Pai paivakil at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 14:37:50 UTC 2006

On 9/4/06, Chandan M. C. <chandanmc at cdac.in> wrote:

> Hai ,
>
>  This is Chandan .. We are working on building a debian based distro ...
> We have bundled openoffice with Malayalam support and added scim (Smart
> common input method) for input method of inscript ,phonetic and remington
> keyboards...

Ah. That is nice. Please make sure that the files for Remington
keyboard gets back into scim repository.

> Both openoofice interface and input method working fine in other languages
> like Tamil,hindi.. But Openoffice interface is not coming in Malayalam...
> only boxes are coming isntead of showing name ..and even input method

You may have to set the font for display of the interface. But, first,
check if you have the ttf-malayalam-fonts package installed.

> typing is coming in malayalam..but some characters are overlapping ..
> I am using openoffice2.0.1....

This is a rendering issue, and I am sorry to tell you that a solution
is to fix the standards first. Something is being done on that though.

> How to solve this ..Please help me in this regard...

BTW, i believe that CDAC itself has brought a version of OO.o which
supports malayalam - see
http://www.malayalamresourcecentre.org/openoffice/Linux/OOo_2.0.0_rc.tar.gz

I believe that the malayalam support files in Debian and OO.o upstream
are result of the CDAC's efforts; Thanks, guys!!! ;)