[Debian-in-workers] Red Hat signs MoU with Kerala govt

Anivar Aravind anivar.aravind at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 10:16:48 UTC 2007

Consider the issues as two seperate things

One is Redhat's Entry into Free Softwarise Governent which is acceptable
completely

two is Migrating the 3 year old existing structure of IT at SChools from
Debian to Redhat without Consulting free Software Community associated
with this Project

Soumyadip Modak wrote:
> On 6/7/07, Prasad Ramamurthy Kadambi <star.kadambi at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> All that I like to supplement is that as pointed out in this thread, it is
>> the organizational  structure of Red Hat, that is  vital in  Kerala
>> government  going for it. Also I do not feel that Debian has any reasons to
>> emulate a similar organizational structure. I also feel that what Mahesh T
>> Pai is trying to convey is practical.

I am Not Commenting about Redhat's Support for Kerala Governemnt. It is
a new field and I agree with u that Redhat's Structure can provide good
support in this. I welcome the moves of Govt in This direction

What I not agree with Govt is the Redhatisation of IT at school Project,
A lot Volunteers including us Worked a lot in Creating support
infrastructure for Free Software usage (Specially Debian in This Case)
in IT at school Project. Its Migration period is almost finished.

Mahesh is not well aware of the happenings in IT at school grounds. He
doesn't know which is the distribution using on Schools. He still saying
about the status before 2 years ( Edumorphics Custom CD which used gnome
from Ubuntu)

 The gave up of IT at school project is the only thing I'm questioning

 Why changing a 3 year old structure which is working well ?

It is not a fight of Debian vs Redhat. But It clearly points on
Duplication of our efforts and taking the fruit without doing anything
for it

> IMHO volunteer support is unfeasible for large scale deployments,
> especially a state-wide deployment. There is real money that has to be
> spent to provide support, and providing support in exchange for a fee
> seems perfectly fine to me.

For IT at school Project We showed successfully that it is feasible and now
teachers can handle it themself. And everything was done without Govt
support During Last Ministry.

Anivar