[Debian-in-workers] [DebianIndia] Proposal for a developers meet similar to our meeting in IIIT Blr ~4 years back

Praveen A pravi.a at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 01:34:28 UTC 2010

We had a rocking event thanks to hard work of a lot of people. I have
to mention Abhijit, Vipul, Kartik and Pavithran who were there from
the beginning to end in making this event a success.

Abhijit's enthusiasm and passion for Free Software has been very
critical for making this event possible. He has been instrumental in
creating a vibrant Free Software community in COEP.

Vipul was our official designer and he made sure we have good posters,
tshirts, buttons, stickers ... He is also working hard to bring up an
active community in PICT.

Kartik has been always there for Debian and he was instrumental in
making sure we are a debian proper event. Of course, he advocated me
to be a DM :)

Pavithran has been our main spokesperson on irc and his interactions
with debian community helped us in making sure debian people knew
about this event. He was there from Friday to Monday and made sure we
have everything in place.

There were lot many people who helped in many ways

Naveen Kumar has been encouraging me in every step and interactions
with him every day helped make this event much more organised. He was
insistent on meticulous planning even to the minute details.

Kushal Das for having played and excellent role. I guess every one got
a clear understanding of upstream and downstream. I found having
upstream author, maintainer, mentor and sponsor at the same place was
a wonderful way of demonstrating the relationship between different
communities in the Free Software world. Back and forth between me and
Kushal about copyright was the best part. Understanding about how
copyright is fundamental to being part of the Free Software community.

Onkar Shinde for helping me with my intro talk and workshop. Being
part of Ubuntu and Debian gave a different perspective and it was an
important one.

Amit Karpe and PLUG team for joining with us for organising this
event. It was good to see him contact us and offer help.

Sasikumar sir of CDAC for supporting this event and making sure we
have a good interaction with BOSS team. Also for coming as a chief
guest and delivering and inspiring inaugural address.

Ashok Kumar and BOSS team for a healthy dialogue. Hopefully, we can
work together more closely after this interaction.

Vikram Vincent for his energetic talk, he was talking to students in
their own language.

Raghavendra for sharing his vision and experience.

I'm definitely going to miss many volunteers' names because I have
interacted directly with only small number of them and I don't
remember most of their names :( Abhijit and Pavithran can help me
here. I will attempt some names Swapnil, Avinash, Madhur, Aswin and
many more.

Plus all the awesome participants, who stayed up till 10 pm on first
day, came at 8 am on the second day and stayed till 8pm, that is quiet
an effort. Again I will try some names, but I know it is incomplete,
Arnav, Vivek, Sana, Priyanka, Sushant, Raghavendra ...

Oh yeah Ninad Pundalik was helping with the workshop and his
microblogs. Ramakrishna for his great insights. Shirish was keeping
the sessions alive with lot of questions.

And of course our sponsors Media Magic Technologies and Nexenta
systems. Hopefully Linux For You will cover this event in their coming
edition.

Abhijith, Vipul, Kartik, Pavithran, and others

Please add any names I missed.

All in all it was not just a Debian event, it was a full fledged Free
Software event covering Education, copyright, licensing,
communication, upstream - distro relationship, contribution and much
more. Looking forward to more action. Hopefully we can organise debian
day on August 16 in one of the colleges in Pune. Others please
organise events in your places. Add your place at
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianDay2010 Asia seems to be blank at the
moment. We need to add some places.

Our event wiki has some blog posts listed (mine is still pending).

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianIndia/MiniDebConf2010

Shirish was asking about slides archives, there is already a
collection of slides from previous years
http://www.fosscommunity.in/wiki/Debian/Conf We will upload the slides
in while (it is in the todo list).

Cheers
Praveen