[Debian-in-workers] Draft for ttf-indic-fonts restructuring

Mahesh T. Pai paivakil at gmail.com
Sun May 15 16:15:16 UTC 2011

Christian PERRIER said on Sun, May 15, 2011 at 05:29:38PM +0200,:
 > They *are* happening. We push new fontpackagers to adopt the new
 > policy and some of us (Yamane-San for instance) started to migrate
 > packages they maintain to the new naming policy.

(snip)

 > To followup on this issue, I think this change is long
 > overdue. ttf-indic-fonts is a very very useful package....but a big
 > mess of many different upstream packages. So, as an example, splitting
 > out the Lohit fonts to their own source package is a great great great idea.

Another vote for renaming.

 > The source package would be one package. Then there would be one
 > binary package per supported script.

But Red Hat (upstream for Lohit, I believe) treats each language font
as separate, At least, that is the impression I gather from their bug
reports. (I had filed a bug against lohit-ml). Bug fixes to ml & kn
happenned separately. Just mentioned - I really am not bothered.

 > However, I'd like to raise a point. You mention you install for
 > instance ttf-malayalam-fonts to install all fonts supporting
 > Malayalam script. That's indeed untrue. It installs all font
 > packages *built from ttf-indic-fonts*. If another font perfectly
 > supports Malayalam but is built from another source package, it
 > won't be installed.

There are no other usable fonts for malayalam outside of
ttf-malayalam-fonts, if that is what you meant.

And I thought that each of  ttf-<language>-fonts had its own orig.tar.gz

 > ttf-indic-fotns is of course not a metapackage but a source package.
 >
 > However, this is a source package with multiple upstreams.
 >
 > With source v3, that could be dealt with multiple .orig.tar.gz
 > tarballs....but I think it is vastly preferrable to just split the
 > source package as proposed.

Ok. Ok. Ok. I surrender. SInce we propose to change the present
situation, I will not bother with what the present is. ;-D

--
Mahesh T. Pai   ||
Sent from my Computer. Running Debian GNU/Linux