[Debian-in-workers] Pending Changes todo for Package Maintainers

Mahesh T. Pai paivakil at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 15:37:41 UTC 2011

(top posting because this is a general reply)

Coincidence or what??

Right now, a fight is going on in the Unicode's Indic list with one
guy on one side and rest of the people familiar with Unicode on the
other - the issue being why Assamese uses the Bangla script.

One of most apt answers has been that "English uses the Latin script,
and native speakers of English do not complain".

As I gather from the unicode mailing list, one or two characters
exclusive to Assamese are included in the Bangla / Bengali code block.

Coming to topic of this thread, if the fonts look different, what we
have is a difference of style; as in "Roman vs. Gothic vs. sans
seriv".

But since there are one or two codes specific to the Assamese language
in the Bangla block, I suspect that these exclusive-to-Assamese
characters are absent in lohit-bengali fonts.

I suspect (and therefore, may be wrong here) RH was being politically
correct in using different styled fonts for same code block and naming
them lohit-bengali and lohit-assamese.

I guess somebody more familiar with any of the two languages can solve
this mystery.

Christian PERRIER said on Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 02:44:20PM +0100,:

 > Quoting Kartik Mistry (kartik.mistry at gmail.com):
 >
 > > > Otherwise said, the font claimed to be a font for Assamese can indeed
 > > > also be a font for Bengali..:-)
 > >
 > > Even script is same, both fonts looks very much different :)
 > >
 > > > So, why not put the fonts you imagine putting in fonts-lohit-as and
 > > > fonts-lohit-bn in the same package called "fonts-lohit-beng"?
 > >
 > > For this, we can have separate package, fonts-lohit-assemese,
 > > fonts-lohit-beng. And, when Assamese get its own ISO Code, we'll
 > > rename package to it.
 >
 > But Assamese script will never get an ISO-15924 code as it uses
 > Bengali script..:-)
 >
 > Why not just put the two fonts in the *same* package:
 > fonts-lohit-beng... And then explain in the package description that
 > "This package provides fonts suitable for languages written in Bengali
 > script, such as Bengali and Assamese".

Mahesh T. Pai   ||
Distributing free copies of non-free software is --
        -- like advertising drugs.