[Debian-in-workers] Debian India website ?

Vasudev Kamath kamathvasudev at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 04:51:48 UTC 2012

Now You are CCed also Debian-IN workers as this is more relevant topic
there also.

Before I start some useful links

1. http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=debian-in/debian-in.git;a=blob;f=docs/debian-in-git-packaging-how-to.txt;h=239a09fc58ef806098c216a388234b4bc8208188;hb=HEAD

2. http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=debian-in/debian-in.git;a=blob;f=docs/TODO;h=d274e3a71cc5cd3ec8f9a8a5cce07f4b324ef521;hb=HEAD

1 is the some documentation we have collected together for working
with Debian-In Git and some packaging policy we follow. 2 is our
current TODO list

If you can put up theme nicely on the wiki it will be really helpful
(note 1 has html version also in git repo)

2012/2/13 shirish शिरीष <shirishag75 at gmail.com>:
<snip>

> By testing if you mean just downloading the fonts from the git repo
> and seeing if they work (I would say I have heard the terms kerning
> and so on and have some ideas about those but on a very surfacial
> manner). If its JUST installing the fonts from the git repo. and
> seeing if they work within the browser and copying content from some
> language and seeing whether all the text-editors are showing the font
> without any replacement character [0] then can do that. If you want me
> to test say how things look in aptitude (both installing and purging)
> then also can do that. I have made aptitude to be a bit more vocal
> while installing stuff.
>
> For instance :-
>
> $ sudo aptitude install hamster-applet
>  hamster-applet
> 1 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
> Need to get 0 B/519 kB of archives. After unpacking 25.6 kB will be used.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] Y
> Retrieving bug reports... Done
> Parsing Found/Fixed information... Done
> apt-listchanges: Mailing root: apt-listchanges: changelogs for deb-home
> (Reading database ... 371044 files and directories currently installed.)
> Preparing to replace hamster-applet 2.91.3+git20120204.b11571c.dfsg-1
> (using .../hamster-applet_2.91.3+git20120211.9ebb889-2_all.deb) ...
> D000001: process_archive oldversionstatus=installed
> Unpacking replacement hamster-applet ...
> D000001: process_archive updating info directory
> Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
> Processing triggers for bamfdaemon ...
> Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/bamf.index...
> Processing triggers for gnome-menus ...
> Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme ...
> Processing triggers for gconf2 ...
> Setting up hamster-applet (2.91.3+git20120211.9ebb889-2) ...
> D000001: deferred_configure updating conffiles
>
> So that I have a clue as to what's happening (otherwise I don't know
> if its installing or not, the default way)
>
> Is it both or either of above or am I misunderstanding/misreading
> something. If there is something else you meant by testing please let
> me know.
>
> What I have done atm is put up a very scrachy initial page detailing a
> bit about the work that Debian India does at
> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianIndia/Testing .
>
> If there are any pre-requisites (as in some specific packages need to
> be downloaded or something to do the testing please let me know.)
>
> I do have almost all the fonts which Debian-IN maintains on my machine
> (the ones from Debian archive), while purging the packages is easy, is
> there some specific workflow which could be better.
>
> Lastly, is there any sort of queue as to which packages need to be
> tested first and how can people know which packages need more
> eyes/testing ?

We have transitioned all ttf-indic-fonts to new naming scheme.
fonts-indic and fellow fonts. Now this is a huge transition and
breakage while upgrade from old ttf-* counterpart is expected. There
is one build-fonts.sh file in repo once you have cloned entire
debian-in git repo (70-80MB) you need to run it it will build all
fonts for you. Documentation for this is in link 1 above.

What you can do?
1. Try installing new fonts-* package and see if the ttf-* counterpart
gets completely removed
2. Check if something goes wrong while this upgrade like some
directory is not removed or files not removed
3. There are also transitional dummy pacakge with *breaks* and
*replaces* magic try installing them (I'm sure upgrade won't be clean
it will break and we need some experienced DD intervention here. I'm
looking up to Kartik and bubulle. @ritesh you can also help us here :)
) and report them break.
4. Look for typos in description (short and long) you can even suggest
better descriptions.
5. Look if fontconfig is properly taking new fonts

  fc-match sans:lang=xx and fc-match serif:lang=xx should give what
font is picked for sans and serif for each language and check if its
taking one specified in conf file we are installing. (PS: Some one can
write a script to do this also to make it easy for every one)

Thats what is coming to my mind at the moment if something else is
missing I'll add it later :)

> I have no idea about the above hence asking the same. As can be
> noticed I have not linked the page to DebianIndia wiki page as
> instructions are not there. Once the instructions are somewhat closer
> to make sense/completeness then would link to the main DebianIndia
> page. I would probably see what replies I get in the evening and at
> the very least document the same.

I would request you to join Debian-IN team and register your ssh keys
so it will be easy for you to work with us. @Kartik please add Shirish
to debian-in team once he requests

Shirish once again thanks for extending a helping hand

PS: don't ever try to install udeb fonts :) rest you can try

Best Regards
--

Vasudev Kamath
http://vasudevkamath.blogspot.com