[Debian-in-workers] FontForge Update to stable

Vasudev Kamath kamathvasudev at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 05:21:17 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 10:43 AM, Balasankar C
<balasankarc at autistici.org> wrote:
> Ok. I didn't mail it to font team's mailing list because I am under the
> impression that list is no more maintained( I am getting a lot of spam mails
> from that list).. Anyway, let's do it after freeze..

There are many lists where you get spams doesn't mean its not
maintained!. Its the team which maintain majority of fonts in Debian
and there were already couple of request for upgrading fontforge IIRC
[1] [2].

[2] specifically indicates possible bugs in fontforge in Debian. But
as you see we lack contributors in team. Its only a handful, and
fontforge is also bit complicated package to handle and only few knows
about it. If you are interested you are welcome to join and toy with
the package (of course after your exams).

Another side note, if you see that the fontforge fails to open the
fonts created by newer version then you should file a bug on fontforge
debian package with appropriate severity. And probably after
interacting with release team tag it jessie ignore. (only if you find
severity is serious and above).

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=772150
[2] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=fontforge;dist=unstable

--