[Debian-in-workers] Merging multiple hyphen-* packages to one

Balasankar C balasankarc at autistici.org
Sat Oct 10 17:21:58 UTC 2015

Hi,

[ You are getting this mail because you are listed as a co-maintainer of
a hyphen-* package maintained by Debian-IN team. CC'ing the team to have
a publicly available archive of this mail. ]

As you may have read from another thread [1] in Debian-IN mailing list,
the hyphen-* packages maintained by Debian-IN has same repository [2] as
upstream source (because SMC, the upstream, moved from savannah to
Gitlab recently). I suggest that we create a single package hyphen-indic
which creates the binaries for all of these individual hyphen-*
packages. Since all of them share the same source tarball, doing the
same work again and again for different packages is wastage of time and
energy. If we form this single package, updating should be done only on
that single package, which saves us both time and energy. Unlike fonts,
hyphen-* packages are not at all updated individually, but all at once
(even these updations occur rarely). So, creating a hyphen-indic package
seems to be the better choice., IMO

Please respond ASAP with your opinion about doing it, and thus merging
the hyphen-* package you maintain to hyphen-indic (Just to have a time
frame, I request you to reply within 2 weeks so that we don't fall to an
indefinite wait. Hope that is ok. :) )

[1]
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/debian-in-workers/2015-October/002759.html
[2] http://gitlab.com/smc/hyphenation