[Debian-iot-maintainers] vcspd; Looking for sponsor

Carsten Schoenert c.schoenert at t-online.de
Sat Dec 28 07:08:52 GMT 2019

Hello Ake,

Am 27.12.19 um 18:06 schrieb Ake Hedman:
> Hi,
>
> I am not sure this is the correct way to reach out but please tell me
> the right way if it's not.

the current IOT team within Debian isn't a big bunch of people (yet?),
so far I know only Thorsten and myself are maintaining packages in that
category. Using the mailing list to contact the people within that team
is the best way. So you have done nothing wrong. :)

> I want to pack the VSCP daemon (package: vscpd 947035)
> (https://www.vscp.org) for Debian and look for a sponsor that can help
> me make this in the correct way.

I haven't noticed this ITP in detail, but probably more due the current
holidays and some other work I'm dealing with.
Seems this framework is the right peace of software for getting
maintained within the IOT team.

Looking at the website for vscp I see multiple parts, one of them is the
deamon vscpd you want to package. I guess you will do packaging of the
other parts too we can build a own project group within the IOT name
space later on Salsa. But let's start on the needed real work first, the
Debian packaging itself.

To do so I'd like to know how much knowledge do you have on building and
maintaining Debian packages? Because the best in along term is you know
the technologies and the reasoning behind the package build.

Do know and have looked at https://mentors.debian.net/ especially the
Q&A sub site?

Do you have started any technical packaging work on vcspd?

> As I have been and still works with IoT I also very much like to be part
> of the IoT team if possible,

You are welcome!

--
Regards