[Debian-l10n-devel] Commit access to xorg GIT repo for the "Pootle" user

Christian Perrier bubulle at debian.org
Wed Jul 9 05:08:55 UTC 2008

Hello XSF folks,

In order to activate the use of the Debian Pootle server
(http://i18n.debian.net:8080) for D-I related work, I would need the
"pootle-guest" user from Alioth to have commit access to xorg git
repository.

*I* am the person who created that user which is the identity under
which Pootle commits back translations to upstream repositories. That
user is controlled by me, just like I control my user on alioth.

Myself, Nicolas François and Felipe Augusto van de Wiel are the only
people who have access to the Pootle setup on i18n.debian.net (that
server is hosted by the Extremadura region). So, I take full
responsability for all actions by this "pootle-guest" user, should it
make mistakes...:-)

The Pootle server will work on a git checkout for xorg and the Pootle
interface will only give access to debian/po/.

Giving commit access to "pootle-guest" means that translation team
coordinators (aka people *we* appoint) will be able to commit PO files
for their language (and their language only) directly from the Pootle
web interface. Modified PO files will then be committed and pushed to
xorg's GIT repository.

A (imho minor) drawback is that there is no way to update
debian/changelog accordingly. Some scripting could be needed to
generate changelog entries when the package is released (we have such
scripts for D-I development, indeed)

PO changes are the only changes that will be committed by this user
and I will personnally monitor this.

Activating this would help us offering more convenient ways to work to
people who are working on Debian Installer and related translations
and is part of the gradual process to establish i18n.debian.net as a
user-friendly interface for translators.

Please consider this change...

Many thanks in advance....